Community certificate is a documentary proof of a person belonging to a specific caste, as categorized under the Indian Constitution. It is also commonly known as Caste certificate. The issuance system of permanent caste or community certificate was initiated in Tamil Nadu in the year 1988. Caste certificates are used to provide certain privileges to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes to bring equality among all the citizens. Thus, a caste certificate is mandatory for receiving any such benefits for a person belonging to Scheduled Cast or Scheduled Tribe community.
The following are the documents required for applying for caste certificate in Tamil Nadu:
- Completed application form
- Ration card copy
- School leaving certificate or transfer certificate
- Caste certificates or school certificates of parents
Benefits of a Community Certificate
- Community Certificate serves as proof for individual who belongs to community, quota for jobs where preference to local candidates is available as per the instructions issued by the government.
- Community Certificate serves as proof of residence to avail domicile/resident quota in government and educational institutions.